This article may contain affiliate links. Whenver you buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission without any cost to you. Thank you!
The crisp, clean air of Fall. I can always smell the change in the air and it’s truly one of my favorite times of year to travel. I’ve visited the beach, the mountains, the flat middle part of the USA as well as Pacific Coast during autumn and travel at this time of year never disappoints. Below are the best places to visit in October in the USA. If you’re looking for beaches to visit, click here: Best Fall Beach Vacation Ideas
- Blue Ridge Mountains. I love all the mountains but Blue Ridge is at the top of the list. October marks the beginning of the leaf color changing season for the Blue Ridge Mountains. It’s so popular that it’s important to make reservations for accommodations months in advance. For me this year, I’ll be staying in a cabin but there are many other accommodations too choose from if you’d like to add this to your October travel schedule. If you’d like a cabin, I’d check VRBO.
- Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan or any of the midwestern states. The color change in these areas are GORGEOUS! I’m a Cleveland, Ohio born and raised girl and fall in the midwest is out of this world. A few years back, my girlfriends and I did the covered bridge tour near Geneva-On-The-Lake mid-October and it was so pretty!
- Eastern Sierra, California. Absolutely beyond gorgeous! This area has some of the most beautiful views and places to explore. From snow capped mountains to lakes, there is truly is something for everyone in this part of the country. Colors begin to change as soon as the temps dip and days become shorter.
- New York City, New York. Many folks don’t think of New York City as a fall destination but it’s actually my favorite time to visit. Crowds are less as kids go back to school and the temps are cooler which makes it nice for sight seeing. My favorite? Central Park as the colors change. Not to be missed!
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. Another place to visit after the summer crowds are gone. You will have some elbow room! Miles of hiking trails along waterfalls and geysers. Even better? It’s easier to find a place to stay.
- Asheville, North Carolina. No better place to end then back in the mountains. Fresh air. Waterfalls. Changing color of the leaves. There truly is nothing more magical than autumn in the mountains. A few others to visit on the east coast are the Appalachian Mountains, Smokey Mountains, or Adirondack Mountains. Pick the mountain range closest to you.
Whatever you decide to do this October, make sure it takes you outdoors. Explore this beautiful world we live in.
I like to use TripAdvisor for booking not only my hotels, but my tickets and rental cars as well. Makes life so much easier with only having to log into one location for my information.
Be sure to grab my travel tips to save you time and money. You’ll also be entered into the weekly drawings.
Denise Sanger lives a life split between her love for fitness and her passion for travel particularly to the BEACH. Denise also has a love of marketing and lives in beautiful Suwannee County, Florida. You can find out more about Denise here: About Denise