This article may contain affiliate links. Whenever you buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission without any cost to you. I really appreciate it as it supports this site and my family. Thank you!
Trying to lose weight, but not making progress?
You are doing everything right. You have stocked up on healthy foods. You are exercising three to five days weekly. You are making smarter choices when you have dinner out. So why are you not losing weight?
Even when you think you are doing what you need to do to move forward on your fitness journey, you could be unintentionally sabotaging yourself. Nutritionists find these are the most common reasons why we may not be reaching our goals:
- Overindulging in “healthy” foods. You have stocked up on avocados, switched to olive oil on your salads, and dip veggies in hummus. But how MUCH of these healthy foods are you eating? Bottom line to lose weight you have to reduce calories and increase your activity. Even choosing healthy foods will not help you lose weight if you eat too many of them. Watch your portions.
- You are not eating enough. THIS is where my biggest struggle always lies. I am one that can literally go all day without eating and not think twice about it. Is that healthy? Absolutely not and for me it causes weight gain especially when I am stressed. Why? It causes your body to slow down your metabolism because it “thinks” you are starving. Make the time to eat.
- You do not have to be perfect all the time. Occasionally you will have days where you may eat more or less than you should. It is okay. Eating 100 more calories versus eating 1,000 more calories are two very different things. As long as you are on track most of the time, it will balance out over the week.
- You do not track your food. Again, I’m raising my hand because this is another one that I personally need to remember. When you keep track of what you are eating in a journal, you are more likely to stick to your program. On the days you do not actually write in your journal, you “think” you are on track but are actually more likely to indulge in foods or snacks you normally wouldn’t. Think of the vending machine or sugary coffee drinks. This is the fitness journal I use – love it because it helps me keep track of EVERYTHING: Nevertheless She Persisted Journal.
- You do not drink enough water. You have read it in this column many times but it is so important that I am putting it in here again. You must drink the water your body needs. Not only is water important for your digestive system and healthier skin, it is crucial for those trying to lose weight. When you are dehydrated, you may mistake the signal from your body that it needs water for hunger pains.
Often we are not as far off track as we might think and simply changing a few things will help you move forward in your fitness journey. Have a great week!
To your health,
Thank you for reading this post. Don't forget to subscribe! This way you never miss an update, travel deals, discounts and more!! Subscribe to the right------>
I like to use Booking for booking not only my hotels, but my tickets and rental cars as well. Makes life so much easier with only having to log into one location for my information.
Be sure to grab my travel tips to save you time and money. You’ll also be entered into the weekly drawings.
Denise Sanger lives a life split between her love for fitness and her passion for travel particularly to the BEACH. Denise also has a love of marketing and lives in beautiful Suwannee County, Florida. You can find out more about Denise here: About Denise